Project Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
The restoration of St Barnabas Church (1874) and its subsequent conversion for use as an archive repository. The derelict church has been restored using traditional materials and techniques, including pointing in lime mortar, decorative stone repairs, structural timber replacements, leaded windows, brick replacements and re-roofing. Where necessary modern methods and materials have been used to improve details, such as the stainless steel weathervane, sustainable iroko louvres to the bell tower, high-performance secondary glazing and salt-resistant lime-based plasters. Once restored, an independent steel frame was erected in the Nave, creating environmentally controlled storage for the Islands most significant historic archives. A second, smaller frame created two floors of office/library accommodation in the Aisle, while the Chancel and Chapel were retained as the principle public spaces, housing study areas and reference material. Two floors of the tower were given over to WC facilities, and the Southwest end of the Nave housed all the necessary services. The new work has been designed with clean, modern lines to contrast and complement the existing historic fabric.
Designed in employment with the States of Guernsey Technical Services.
The Old School House, Arrow, Alcester, Warwickshire, B49 5PJ